User Experience Manager Optum Technology (UnitedHealth Group): 2013 – Present
- Managed and directed a UX portfolio of 10+ web products across UnitedHealth Care, UnitedHealth Networks, Optum Technology and OptumRx.
- Drove research, experience, design and testing of the Optum Digital Health Network and Optum Link digital healthcare applications across devices in an Agile environment.
- Delivered design and user experience of Optum Electronic Payments and Statements; responsible for electronic transfers of approx 7 billion dollars monthly between healthcare providers and payers.
- Directed the consumer experience and design delivery for Optum’s first direct-to-consumer product - Optum Good Sleep.
- Participated in all aspects of the design process, from strategic work and product planning through research and concepting to detailed design and prototyping.
- Recruited, led, managed, mentored, promoted, and hired a team of designers, from junior designers to seasoned senior designers. Conducted annual reviews.
Lead User Experience Designer UnitedHealth Group: 2012 – 2013
- Drove design of LifeLens, one of the first clinical improvement applications using native iOS functionality in the delivery of diagnosis and treatment.
- Created user flows, wireframes and directed user interface design delivery for a United Healthcare mobile physician practice management and drug formulary application.
- Drove ethnographic research, strategy and design concept creation for Medicare health insurance exchanges.
- Performed primary user research to determine user needs, motivations and experience recommendations. Created high-level and detailed application user flows, architecture and wireframes.
Lead Experience Strategist and Designer AndCulture: 2010-2012
- Responsible for high-level business, product and user experience strategies for new clients.
- Created and led user interviews, interactive group discovery exercises and supporting ethnographic and market research studies.
- Established new UX methodologies to translate research into actionable recommendations and strategies to meet business ROI and user goals.
- Delivered engaging visual user story maps, site maps, high-level IA, content strategy, infographics and product wireframes for websites, RIAs, mobile apps, custom software and physical space design.
Co-Founder Humantics: 2010
- Co-founded service design company delivering human-centered design solutions to diverse clients.
- Structured and ran group collaborative workshop to educate clients about using design to overcome the basic human behaviors governing anxiety during group collaboration.
- Led in-depth research and ethnography studies of user groups and stakeholders.
- Designed collaborative group visualization exercises to promote collective investment in solution forming discussions.
Exhibition Experience Designer National Constitution Center, Philadelphia: 2009
- Researched and designed exhibition space for first newspaper printed version of U.S. constitution.
Organizational Design Consultant Amuneal Manufacturing, Philadelphia, PA: 2008 (6 months)
- Designed novel interactive role-playing tools to help group communication during project management.
Post-doctoral Researcher University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA: 2005-2008
- Investigated and published studies examining the factors controlling human immunity and immune responses.
- Created and published illustrative graphical visualizations for independent research studies.
Master In Design University of The Arts, Philadelphia 2010
Post-Doctoral Researcher University of Pennsylvania 2007
Ph.D. Immunology University of Glasgow, UK 2004
B.Sc. Immunology University of Glasgow, UK 2001
Adaptive Path, Get Satisfaction, GoodData, Hoover, Hospital & Health System Association of Pennsylvania, IA Ventures, Janrain, Mount Nittany Medical Center, OnSIP, Optum, UnitedHealth Group
Optum Technology UX Summit “Making Innovative Products that Users Value” Panel Discussion Participant
Vizthink Philadelphia “Visualizing Group Purpose” Workshop
IgnitePhilly “Collaboration” Presentation
Design Philadelphia “Design and Collaboration with Industry“ Presentation
Adobe Creative Suite, Axure Prototyping, Agile Methodologies, Business Strategy, Content Strategy, Contextual Inquiry, Ethnographic Research, Heuristic Evaluation, Interaction Design, Interviewing, Information Architecture, Mobile Application Design, Responsive Web Design, User Testing, Wireframing and Workshop Facilitation